The handiwork of the Brighton-based production team Wild Stag Studio, this six minute piece forms a homage of sorts to the sci-fi and horror dreamworlds that have haunted the collective subconscious and fired the imagination of the band since its earliest incarnation.
Even before the day in 1979 when Kevin Heybourne used the recently viewed Alien as inspiration for the hellish guitar noise that kicks off "Baphomet", the mystical aural landscapes that Angel Witch creates had always been heavily informed by futuristic dystopias, dark mythos and the kind of culture oft found in yellowing paperbacks, midnight movie screenings and on the flickering of small-hours television.
What's more, whilst recording Angel Of Light in early 2019, the band were holed up together for three weeks in an AirBnB in Leeds, and found themselves spending most of their time in the evenings watching movies and TV, which naturally gravitated towards grand guignol horror and old-school sci-fi - from classics like '60s Star Trek and the Hammer House Of Horror series to celluloid escapism from the sublime (The Devil Rides Out) to the ridiculous (Lair Of The White Worm).
"Death From Andromeda" (with its lyrical influence drawn from the Michael Crichton 1969 novel The Andromeda Strain) reflects all these obsessions and more, a gloriously outlandish and suitably OTT journey into the trash and terror of the past, invoking the timeless headspace of eternal favourites like kitsch classic Barbarella, the fantastically overblown 1980 remake of Flash Gordon, the famously overambitious Starcrash, and the dark low-budget majesty of '70s British classics such as Space 1999 & Dr. Who (with particular reference to the Tom Baker-era story Planet Of Evil).
To stream Angel Of Light, head over to: metalblade.com/angelwitch - where the album can also be purchased in the following formats:
- deluxe box set (digipak CD, red/white/black marbled vinyl, 7", flag, backpatch, art print - limited to 1000 copies)
- 180g black vinyl (EU exclusive)
- orange / purple marbled vinyl (EU exclusive - limited to 666 copies)
- signal orange vinyl (EU exclusive - limited to 400 copies)
- light yellow vinyl (EMP exclusive - limited to 200 copies)
- sungaze swirl vinyl (EU Webshop exclusive - limited to 100 copies)
- blue vinyl (High Roller exclusive - limited to 200 copies)
- clear vinyl (Band exclusive - limited to 100 copies)
- transparent red vinyl (US exclusive - limited to 700 copies)
- yellow / red marbled vinyl (US exclusive - limited to 300 copies)
* exclusive bundles with shirts, plus digital options are also available!